Learning List has reviewed five of Glynlyon’s Odysseyware comprehensive social studies courses for Texas high schools. Each course addresses the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and supports instruction in self-paced and credit-recovery programs and blended learning environments. Content incorporates instructional videos, grade-appropriate texts, games, and interactive learning activities. A brief description of each course is provided below. [Read more…]
- Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits (TX Edition) is a semester-long course that organizes content in five units that address scarcity, supply and demand, the economic role of the federal government, the free market system, market structures, market regulations, and macroeconomics.
- U.S. Government (TX Edition) is a semester-long course that covers the history of government, the influence of philosophers, types of government, the rise of democracy, the structure of the U.S. government, the role of the U.S. Constitution, the three branches of U.S. government, the lawmaking process, political parties, voting and elections, and citizenship and civic responsibilities.
- U.S. History Since 1877 (TX Edition) is a year-long course that addresses U.S. history from 1877 to today, emphasizing the political, social, and economic developments that shaped the country during the twentieth century. The course’s first unit focuses on the importance of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution in in American life.
- World Geography Studies (TX Edition) is a year-long course that examines the physical and human geography of the world’s regions, including the political, cultural, and economic characteristics of each area.
- World History Studies (TX Edition) is a year-long course that covers early civilizations; classical Greece and ancient Rome; the world’s religions; major empires; the importance of cultural interactions and exchanges; political, religious, and cultural revolutions; the effects of the World Wars I and II; and the events of the 20th century.
Each course is fully customizable. Teachers may reorder, add, and delete content. Students have access to note taking, translation, and text-to-speech tools. Odysseyware’s note taking feature lets students save their own notes and view notes saved by teachers. The translation tools will translate the lesson text and provide an audio of the translated text in 23 languages. The text-to-speech feature reads aloud text highlighted by the student.
Odysseyware takes the question of where students can learn out of the equation. With its fully HTML5 course library, students can learn anywhere, anytime, on any device, via a powerful Learning Management System delivering hundreds of multimedia-based courses. Students have access to CTE, Advanced Placement®, core and elective options, all aligned to national and state standards. They also have access to powerful supports including translations in 23 languages, vocabulary and reference libraries, text-to-speech, and immediate coaching for writing skills via the Writer Tool.
*Information in this section is provided by or adapted from Odysseyware.
Subscribe to Learning List for access to the spec sheet, full editorial review and alignment reports for these materials and thousands of other widely used PreK-12 resources.